Head tilt

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jul 6 22:20:55 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
July 6, 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Adam Frost wrote:
> I have a question about head movements. I know that the  arrows on
> top of the head means that the head moves as if the nose is drawing
> the arrow. The way that Stefan taught me a while ago is that the
> double stem move the head to look side to side, up and down, while
> the single arrows move the head as if doing an Egyptian dance side
> to side, and forward and back without moving the face from looking
> forward. How do you write it if the head is tilting side to side?
> Adam

Hello Adam ;-)
Thanks for this question and Stefan of course taught you correctly!

The Head Movement with the double-stemmed arrows shows the direction
of the nose moving.

The Head Movement with the single-stemmed arrows shows the neck
projecting the head in that direction, like forward, or side to side
in Egyptian dancing. We do use the single lined arrow for Head
Movements in writing ASL for questions...the head is projected
forward and that takes a single-stemmed arrow...

One way to show a tilt of the head is this way, which really means
that the nose is directed up in the direction of the arrow. So in
this example the nose is looking up toward the upper left corner,
which automatically tilts the head a little back and side-left: