Rotation symbols stay in one place

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Jul 7 02:27:53 UTC 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 6:58 PM, Cherie Wren wrote:

> I have a hard time seeing wrist flex in here when I could put on my
> old carpel tunnel wrist braces, and still sign this sign...  ::smile::

We have "SignWriting terminology"...

In SignWriting, a Wrist Flex is not just up and down, or forward and
back, it is also Side-to-Side...

> One recent message got me close to the edge of understanding.  "The
> hand and arm do not travel"...

Yes. The SignWriting term: "Rotation Symbol" means the following:

1. The palm facing turns over to another palm facing (black, white or
one-half changes).
2. The hand and arm DO NOT TRAVEL. They stay in one place.

Rotation Symbols always stay in one place.

A Movement Arrow WITHOUT a line though it, means a real traveling
movement, but when you place a line through a Movement Arrow, it
means the movement stays in one place and the arm is static in space
and the only thing that moves is the rotation of the forearm from one
palm facing to another palm facing...

So Rotation Symbols STAY IN ONE PLACE. They do not travel.