Existing lessons teaching Rotation & Wrist Flexes

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jul 8 01:23:01 UTC 2007

On Jul 7, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Adam Frost wrote:
>  So I think that is what Kelly Jo is referring to, but I am sure
> that this has never really come up before. But that will always
> come up when you have new people learning a system, new issues come
> up. :-)
> Adam

The main thing that I need to teach better, is that Rotation Symbols
and Wrist Flex Symbols have clear definitions. Although I truly did
try to explain this in Chapter 8, I remember I always had trouble
teaching this area because for me, it is as natural as ASL is for you
all...and trying to describe one's own thinking is always hard...

The fact that the wrist locks with a Rotation Symbol, so the rotation
is solely from the elbow joint and not from the wrist joint, is a
very important fact, and most important is that Rotation Symbols were
developed to write "movement that doesn't travel"...the only reason
we had to develop them was because we needed a way to write movement
that doesn't travel, but happens in one place...hence the forearm-
line slashes any movement symbol making it "unmoveable"... or
untraveling...

1. A Movement Arrow WITHOUT a line through it travels: