wrist flex and rotation

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jul 9 16:55:31 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
July 9, 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 5:18 AM, CWren at doe.k12.ga.us wrote:
> As someone, I think Adam, said, its an anatomy thing.  If my wrist
> is flexed 90 degrees from the forearm, the wrist can't flex any
> more and still retain that angle.  I think this will work (in MY
> head anyway) if I think of it as the movement of the -hands-  is
> what is important; the angle they are in relation to the arm is
> more based on my width...

Adam is a good teacher and I am glad he is here to help us. Thank
you, Adam, for your excellent help!

The point is that the symbols are NOT based on Anatomy. I never
analyzed the human body's ability as to how much one person can flex,
or the fact that the forearm has to rotate a little while doing wrist
movements...That is too technical and you are making it harder for
yourself...

So please do not analyze it like that, but instead just get used to
the rules that govern the symbols...

These symbols are more simplified than that...

Rotisserie Symbols (also known as Rotation Symbols ;-) LOCK the
wrist, and the arm stays in one place. The pole is an axis and the
chicken changes palm facing!

Wrist Movement Symbols unlock the wrist and the movement is at least
generally from the wrist joint.

The moment the wrist is UNLOCKED we choose to write with Wrist
Movement Symbols.