Back to the list( was Any objection to the OFL?)

machado at SOFTWARELIVRE.ORG machado at SOFTWARELIVRE.ORG
Wed Jul 11 00:47:56 UTC 2007

Hello, there!

I'm trully sorry for so long time in silence. I resume my humble
participation in this list by answering an old question from Val(see
Val's message below).

Well, when I sent you guys my script for creating SSS2004 SVG symbols
I licensed only that script. I used GPL[1] for the script and stated
that the symbols license should be checked/obtained from DAC or Sutton
Center. I can't remember the exact term and words. But that  was the
idea.

Since I'm not the one who created IWMA2004 neither work for
them(yet  :) ) I could not license the symbol set.
I could have licensed that png files set(as a derivative work of my
script). But it didn't seem fair to me.
Then I asked Val what would we do and she told me that people like,
Gerard, Steve, Bill and others was investigating this issue.

It was a long and pleasant conversation about this topic some time
ago, through an instant messenger. Thanks again, Val!

I believe that Bill or Gerard said in other emails that we should use
OFL for SSS/IWMA fonts we create. But not software. :) See my argument
[2]
I totally agree with them. Rocha Costa's SW Edit uses GPL, which seems
an appropriate licensed to be used for our softwares.

By the way, I have another small script

I'm sorry, I haven't read the entire email thread on this topic. I may
be missing something.

All the best

[1] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.html
[2] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#Fonts

Machado
9° Forum Internacional Software Livre - fisl9.0
http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/  - Abril de 2008
Porto Alegre, RS - Brasil

Associacao Software Livre.Org - http://www.softwarelivre.org/

!DSPAM:46706340250131600658594!