Surface of Fingers

Sun Jul 22 20:12:37 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
July 22, 2007

Hi Everyone!
Did you know how the Surface Symbols started?

The Surface Symbols were originally developed to write the surface of
fingers....

A way to write the details of contacting the inside, outside, under
and over surfaces of fingers. For a dance once, we had to write
rubbing in the crease between fingers too, and so we had Surfaces
"inbetween" as well...

This first diagram appeared in the DanceWriting textbook published in
1979. At that time, we used A, B, C etc to show the section of the
finger being contacted. Later we just circled the section of the
finger line...but the Surface Symbols have been used ever since, and
are now expanding to show the contact of larger surfaces, such as
entire hands...