SignWriting presentation today in San Diego

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jun 1 00:31:39 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
May 31, 2007

Dear SW List!
I just got back from my presentation of a Private WebPuddle to a
research group. It was a two hour presentation to 10 researchers and
their questions were great...

When I arrived they had SignPuddle on the web, projected large onto a
screen, and one of the researchers worked the computer while I stood
by the screen and pointed out how to do things...There were two
excellent interpreters and I felt very fortunate!

We created several signs together and then we searched for signs by
symbol and by symbol-frequency and by signs and by words...

We had a long discussion on how we sort (alphabetize) dictionaries by
Sign-Symbol-Sequence...and what worked best for finding signs in
dictionaries?...was it handshape-movement-location?...or was it
handshape-location-movement that worked the best? and so forth...very
interesting...

One of the Deaf researchers was curious about writing signs under the
hips, like the sign for Newfoundland, and Russia...so we wrote the
sign for Newfoundland together..

Another researcher was fascinated by the fact that if you write the
word HOW in the translate program, you will get many many versions of
the sign for HOW in ASL listed there...she wanted to know why it
wasn't more standardized? smile...so we all discussed the issues of
dialect, writing styles, signing styles, spelling standardizations,
and the fact that some of them were actually different signs...

And they use FileMaker Pro 8.0 for their other data collections, so
we discussed the use of SignBank 8.5 to do some sophisticated
searches...I promised them I would try to experiment with some of the
searches that they need..like all the signs that include the nose and
the index finger...combination searches is what they need, and then
they need to print out the vocabulary list they get when they do the
search...

Between SignBank and SignPuddle I believe everything could be done
that they requested...

So this will be ongoing work and from time to time I hope we will
hear if our software is useful to them...I will assume it will be...

The Private WebPuddles are great for small research groups that need
private data but are not yet ready to use a full separate server...

Private WebPuddles
http://www.suttonshop.com/ecommerce/pages/products_sw_detail.jsp?id=50.0

We have three groups that are using private Web Puddles now ...

Anyway - I really enjoyed getting out of the house and seeing old
friends and presenting SignPuddle to them...

Thank you, Steve, for SignPuddle!