Navigating in SignPuddle 1.5

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jun 4 18:29:49 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
June 4, 2007

Hello Gerard, and Stefan!

Thank you for this question, Gerard...

Both the flags themselves, and their Sign Names, are both international.

Sign Languages themselves are not international, but when it comes to
names of countries, among the educated and traveled sign language
users, it has become the norm to try to use the name for each country
that is used in the native signed language of that country...

So for example, the sign for Germany in old ASL is slowly becoming
just that...old and not used as much. The name for Germany in German
Sign Language is now becoming the sign for Germany all over the
world...this way the names of countries have been respected and
become international...

However, not all Deaf people know this. Recently I met some Deaf
people here in the US who did not know the sign for Germany from
Germany...so I believe this is more the norm for the educated and
traveled peoples of the world...

But Stefan is right...we could write a tiny sign name for each
country over each flag...and that will still be international....I am
working on that and hope to see if it gets your approval!!

Val ;-)