Dissertation abstract - Effect of SignWriting at School for Deaf in Jordan

Sat Jun 2 17:36:43 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
June 2, 2007

mohammed abushaira from Jordan wrote:

> dear Val and the list
> Here is the abstract of my research
>  Dr . mohamed  abu shaira

-----------

Hello Dr. Mohammed Abu Shaira!

CONGRATULATIONS on completing this dissertation (abstract below), and
receiving your Ph.D!

Your statistical study on the efficacy of SignWriting in Deaf
Education is important research which will help educators around the
world.

THANK YOU for sharing this abstract with us!

 From what I understand by reading this, that your dissertation,
through two control groups, showed statistically that SignWriting
improved the student's understanding of spoken language
vocabulary?...Have I understood this correctly?

And it also improved the interaction between groups of students?

You are the first that I know of, to do statistical studies on
SignWriting in Deaf Education...

Your first study was in Saudi Arabia years ago, and now this...we are
very fortunate...

SignWriting in the Arabic Nations
http://www.signwriting.org/arabia/arabia.html

I concur with Dr. Ingvild Roald in Norway, that your entire
dissertation will be read eagerly by other educators, if made
available....

Thank you again, and I am curious...Did the students enjoy learning
SignWriting?

Val ;-)

------------

The Effect of Signwriting on the Achievement and Vocabulary Acquiring
for Deaf Student at Al Amal School for Deaf in Amman City
By
Mohammed Abu Shaira
Supervised by
Dr. Ibrahim A. El-Zraigat
ABSTRACT

The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of
signwriting on academic achievement and vocabulary acquiring for deaf
students at Al amal school for deaf in Amman city. To achieve this
goal, the researcher developed and applied a training program by
using Signwriting lesson which created by Valarie Suton, to teach
signwriting for deaf students at the fifth grade at Al amal school
for deaf in Amman city, and to teach them a selected part of science
book from the second semester.

The study was conducted at a purposive sample contained of 32 male
and female students from the 5th grade , the were divided into two
groups,  one of them was randomly assignment as an experimental
group which contain 15 students (10 male ,5 female) , the second was
a control  group which contain 17students ( 11 male, 6 female). Two
tools used to collect the data, the first was a multiple choice test
which was built according characteristics table, the validity and
reliability for this tool was verified. The second tool was a list of
vocabulary that was selected randomly from the science lessons,
validity and reliability for this tool was verified. The two tools
were conducted as pre and post test for the two groups .The data were
analyzed by using (ANCOVA).

The results of the study were indicated to significantly differences
between the two groups in favor of experimental groups in achievement
and vocabulary. Also, the findings showed effect to the interaction
between the group and gender in vocabulary . The study recommended
making more studies about signwriting and expands the samples and the
ages.