sw-l-digest V1 #2437

GerardM gerard.meijssen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 4 06:29:05 UTC 2007

Hoi,
What I described were the things that could be done with OmegaWiki as a
resource. The point is that OmegaWiki because of its structure can show you
information from many languages and about many languages in your language.
As it is, it does nor support SignWriting in any way. However, the holy
grail for OmegaWiki is to include all words of all languages.

The reason why I posted was that with the "Commons" functionality that we
are actively looking for funding for, will build functionality that will
show content for a user in the language selected by him in his user
preferences. The notion that I have is that if this can be used in
SignPuddle as well, a French person would see in stead of dog, chien if
French is the language selected when he or she looks at the ASL sign for
dog. Also when in the database chien and dog are connected to the same
DefinedMeaning you could get the right "picture" in any sign language.

The issue is that this would at present only work from a written spoken
language to a written signed language. Consequently it would at best be half
a solution. The reason why I bring it up is because Sabine is experimenting
with supported reading. What this would do is provide a link from a website
of a newspaper to OmegaWiki .. this is something that can be done as well.

Here it would be better if it was possible to have a better user interface
for exactly this functionality it is also why I did not propose it
yesterday.

Thanks,
    Gerard