Encyclopedia in American Sign Language

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Mar 9 22:30:53 UTC 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Pharos wrote:
> I just wanted to clear this up.  Wikipedia already has an article on
> SignWriting, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SignWriting
>
> What is being proposed is an entirely new Wikipedia, covering all the
> topics any encyclopedia would, in American Sign Language, just as
> there are Wikipedias in French ( http://fr.wikipedia.org/ ) and
> Spanish ( http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ).
>
> Please comment on the proposal page and sign up there if you are
> interested in participating.  It will only be created if a certain
> number of people written sign language-users express interest.
> Thanks.

---------------

Hello Pharos -

Are you asking us to write the Wikipedia in written American Sign
Language in SignWriting? We can do that, and I would vote for that...

Signing up for it would mean that someone who knows American Sign
Language can write the articles in written SignWriting...and there
are skilled people who can do that ...

We have new software too, SignPuddle 1.5, that can produce written
Sign Language Literature documents, and perhaps we can assist in
creating the web pages needed...Is that what you are talking about?
It is a huge job to translate a whole Wikipedia into any language,
but it can be done ... we could start with a small portion of it and
go from there...

We have a little funding for producing written Sign Language
literature right now, and we could apply that towards writing some
articles for an encyclopedia and use that as a springboard for doing
more work in the future...Does Wikipedia have funding to help us with
the translation process? Or perhaps we could write a grant together?

It would certainly be a very important historic event, to have an
entire encyclopedia written in the movements of American Sign Language!

I assume that Wikipedia can be written in Chinese and other
languages? So you are handling other written scripts other than the
Roman alphabet? You mention Spanish and French below, but those
languages use the same Roman alphabet used to write English, but our
written ASL uses SignWriting symbols, as you know.

SignPuddle software can write email in SignWriting and literature in
SignWriting...so we could work with your programmers to make sure
that our ASL encyclopedia would be something you can post with no
trouble...We are working towards the day when people can add their
own Sign Language literature on the web, so we could apply that to
Wikipedia someday...so that others can post their own SignWriting
corrections and comments just as they do right now with the Roman
alphabet in other languages...

So I say YES to the proposal if Wikipedia is interested...

I just went up on your web site on this link:

>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/
>> Wikipedia_American_Sign_Language_2

I can see that SignWriting was discussed there...

I clicked on EDIT, but it looks like a huge job to do the editing and
I am on a deadline right now to finish our software by next week...so
I would be grateful if someone else could propose to use SignWriting
to write an American Sign Language Wikipedia?...it could bring
SignWriting users funding for doing the translation and writing work...

Perhaps in April I can add to the Wikipedia voting page above...

no matter what, please know we are interested...

And i hope someone on the SignWriting List can help too...go to the
above web page and click on the word EDIT in the corner to make your
statement that we could write Wikipedia in American Sign Language
using SignWriting...

Many thanks!

Val ;-)

---------