Encyclopedia in American Sign Language

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Mar 9 21:33:23 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
March 9, 2007

Can anyone write an article about SignWriting for Wikipedia's new
section on American Sign Language?...Here is a message I just received:

--------

From: pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
	Subject: 	Encyclopedia in American Sign Language
	Date: 	March 9, 2007 1:28:29 PM PST
	To: 	  Sutton at SignWriting.org

You may be familiar with Wikipedia, the free volunteer-written
encyclopedia, which exists in many languages.  The English Wikipedia
is at http://en.wikipedia.org/

There is currently a proposal for a Wikipedia in American Sign
Language, and I thought that the members of the SignWriting community
should be aware of this.

The proposal is here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/
Wikipedia_American_Sign_Language_2

It would be great if you could share this information on SignWriting
forums and mailing lists, and please comment at the proposal page
(just click "edit").

I am not a sign language user myself, but I thought I could help in
informing you of this proposal.  Feel free to ask me if you have any
general questions relating to what Wikipedia is or how it works.

Thank you