question on sign notation, small arrow heads

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu May 3 21:52:54 UTC 2007

Hi Charles -

On May 3, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Charles Butler wrote:
> I guess for me, I'd write it with half/hands, because then the
> fingers point toward each other.  I tend, and maybe I learned it
> wrong, to put the closing arrow with the point of closure at the
> end point, so my "close hands" may be the wrong shape.  I wrote
> both hand positions because it didn't look like a standard "3" to
> me but one with the thumb pointing out.

The signer's hands are beautiful fingers and long, and you are right
that they could easily be interpreted with the thumb forward like
that...it could be written with several palm facing interpretations
too ;-))

> It is awkward to follow the rules absolutely when the hands don't
> show up as pointing toward each other if you show them as palm up
> and palm down.  I tend to want to show the palm facing as the back
> of the palms, not the fingers, so that if it's pointing down, then
> the top half of the square would be black not the left side of the
> square.

Sure...the questions is about the finger movements...not the hand
positions...you are right ;-)