differences in fist tensions from signer to signer

Adam Frost adam at FROSTVILLAGE.COM
Sun May 6 21:48:04 UTC 2007

Although we could easily add the exact handshape to fit this and every other
variation of signs, we would be dooming ourselves when trying to do
standardization. :-) So, yes this is trying to find the balance of phonetic
and phonemic. When is a variation needed to be shown for meaning, or when is
it needed to just show minor non-meaning difference in production. I think
that this came up because Kelly Jo is doing a "what I see is what I write"
transcription, which is great. (Probably better to do right now especially
since there isn't much standardization in sign written spellings.) I think
that in the case of the Do-Do, the final production will have the full D
handshape because this is a story telling hence more formal. Just my
thought.

Adam