Signs Found

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Thu May 10 02:12:55 UTC 2007

That is interesting, because it was my understanding that all of the
initial base signs for SEE were in fact ASL and then they initialized
these base signs to derive words of similar meaning or sound in
English. So it is very possible ... maybe probable that these signs
were ASL first but because of association with SEE and the fact that
SEE emphasized initialization, they were rejected along with SEE
initialized signs. Perhaps a case of throwing out the baby with the
bathwater. I find this humorous sometimes because many of the signs
we borrowed from French Sign Language are initialized signs ... in
French. :)

This doesn't mean I support SEE or the use of initialized signs. ASL
has a rich system of developing words. But I am talking about these
historical signs.

Thanks,

Stuart