SVG version of our IMWA symbols

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon May 14 05:02:20 UTC 2007

Hi Stuart!
Glad to know you feel this way...I prefer vertical writing too, and
our Deaf DAC members from the past...Meriam Ina Schroeder, Lucinda
O'Grady Batch, Kevin and Darline Clark etc. all wanted it too...so it
has been thought through very carefully with great detail...with
vertical writing with lanes, we are capturing aspects of grammar we
cannot capture writing from left to right...

I find reading long SignWriting documents in vertical columns
increases my comprehension speed...one sees the spatial comparisons
between left and right quickly and the writing matches the signing so
beautifully...where in horiztonal writing, you cannot see the body
shifting as well and your reading is slowed down because the writing
is not in tune with the way signing really looks...

And I agree with you about the landscape direction of the
paper...that gives shorter columns and seems very easy to read...

I am bringing out SignBank 8.5 this week if it kills me! And we have
landscape printing of literature as a format in SignBank 8.5...

Thanks for this input once again...

Val ;-)