Programmers: license for SignWriting symbols (ISWA)

Tue May 29 21:50:31 UTC 2007

Hi Jonathan,

If the SignWriting Symbols were under the OFL, then any application Open
or Closed could use those symbols.  Software is not a derivative of the
symbols.  Software uses the symbols.  Under the OFL, a commercial
product is allowed to include the OFL fonts as a part of the software
package.

A derivative of the SignWriting Symbols would still be a set of
symbols.  Maybe someone will clean up the white palms in our current
IMWA.  Or maybe someone would create a half sized symbol set.  These new
symbol sets would need to be released under the OFL.

According to the OFL, it is not permitted to sell the fonts by
themselves.  It is also not permitted to modify the fonts and sell the
modified fonts.

-Steve