Programmers: license for SignWriting symbols (ISWA)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed May 30 01:37:02 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
May 29, 2007

Of course, Charles. Agreed. No worries about this...no one will be
restricting you or me or anyone from writing with the writing system
and publishing with it, and copyrighting their published works...;-)

The other day someone asked me if I would restrict what someone says
in ASL...would I allow swear words?...can you imagine such a
question? The alphabet has nothing to do with what is said when
writing with it...A writing system is not a language...it is just a
bunch of symbols...what people say and write is their business! I
don't even know ASL well enough to write in it myself, let alone
restrict someone to use their native language and judge what they say
in it!

So again, let's rejoice that we have such opportunities and I pray I
can find a way to dispel everyone's concerns. And thanks once again
to Gerard, for suggesting the OFL license. I have spoken to Steve
about it and it seems it will be a good idea for the symbols...but we
will take it slow to be sure...

On a totally side note....we have published Isadora Duncan's Sheet
Dance, as you know.

You can download the documents on this web page...yes...for free! ;-))

DanceWriting Library
http://www.dancewriting.org/library

Thanks for mentioning Isadora Duncan!

On Thursday I am presenting SignPuddle to a research group here in
San Diego and so I am going offline until Friday, so I can prepare
properly for my presentation Thursday afternoon...

Talk to you all this weekend ...many thanks for the great
discussions ;-)

Val ;-)