SVG and Unicode

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 1 13:22:56 UTC 2007

Unfortunately, I think the system is far more than 50 base figures, not including their rotations and fills.  Plus it is not a complete and closed system, as Ethiopian sign language alone shows with its syllabary of handshapes for fingerspelling still under development.

We need some development of Unicode that could allow for versions that expand the symbol set as more are needed.

Charles Butler

GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote: Hoi,
When it comes to Unicode, there are two questions relevant to me.

   How do we get all the SignWriting symbols in Unicode.
   Will having the SignWriting symbols in SVG help the move of the symbols into Unicode
I start off by stating that I am ignorant about SignWriting, but when I look at the website I find fifty base figures that can be manipulated in some fifteen ways. If I have this correctly, it means that all symbols and UNICODE glyphs will be based on these. If this is true, it may mean that we could start with a quality SVG and result in a glyph that is acceptable for use in UNICODE. Obviously I do not know and I am probably overly optimistic, but I am sure you will tell me if I am.. :)

Thanks,
    GerardM

http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/signtext.php