SVG and Unicode

Tue May 1 15:28:42 UTC 2007

Agreed Stuart, see comments below.

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
>> Unicode and SVG
>> -----------------------
>> Once each symbol has a unique number, we can create font files for
>> SignWriting.  We may be able to have a single font file, or we may
>> need multiple font files.  Since we'll already have the SVGs
>> completed, we can use the SVG style fonts.  This whole process will
>> be repackaging.  There should be automated tools that can help.
>> Maybe even font experts..
>

> I believe that it should be no problem to contain all the symbols in
> one font file. After all, they have font files with nearly every
> writing system included that are several megabytes in size. It may be
> that our font file has very minimal support for spoken languages and
> only contains movement writing symbols.

Agreed.  However, extension packs need a place in the final solution.
Val wrote an entire symbology for wood chopping using an ax.  The
standard prop system was inadequate.  The axes are a part of neither the
standard IMWA symbol set nor the SignWriting alphabet.  Just because we
can fit all of the symbols into one file doesn't mean we should.

Regards,
-Steve