orientations and IMWA

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 5 11:09:47 UTC 2007

For orientations, sometimes one instance is not enough, you might need three for front, back, and middle, then the rest are rotations and mirrors, but when the thumb switches sides, or goes into the middle pointing toward or away from the reader, there is only so much that a computer can be "taught" to do, and it requires a human eye to ensure that you actually have a properly oriented symbol that is clear. I think we can do with 3 with the rest as rotations, flops, and shadings.

The old keyboarding system had a lot of positionings assumed, but we have discovered with using the IMWA point and click that "assumed" positioning is not fine motor enough for points of contact.  We have a rather large corpus of signs now to start doing some experiments with computerized assumptions, but we are still learning.

And once you add dance and ballet, one can assume nothing, as a dancer can move the arms and legs into any number of positions that simply cannot be assumed.

Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> wrote:
Another example is with the number of different orientations offered by
the IMWA. As others discussed recently, we only need a fraction of these
- one instance of each shape is enough.

Sandy (now wondering if this email sounds less calm than intended  :)