ASL sign for DO or DO-DO?

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 5 22:37:26 UTC 2007

>From: "Valerie Sutton" <signwriting at MAC.COM>
>To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
>Subject: [sw-l] ASL sign for DO or DO-DO?
>Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 09:24:55 -0700
>
>SignWriting List
>May 5, 2007
>

>>On May 4, 2007, at 5:37 PM, kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
>>I wasn't sure quite how to write the "do-do" sign, so this is my  best
>>guess on it... I'm not sure it really shows that the index  finger touches
>>the others. I think that's the main thing that gave  me trouble on this
>>one. Well, that and the beginning sequence, the  first three signs.
>>Everyone was reeling in shock after the evil  fairy left; it's obvious
>>when you watch it on video, but tough to  write!
>
>Hello Kelly Jo!
>Thanks for this question.
>
>If you go into the ASL Dictionary SignPuddle on the web:
>
>http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index.html#SignPuddleASL
>
>and search for the sign for DO or DO-DO?
>
>You will find several spellings...most are not following the rules  (grin)
>but some are!
>
>For example, here is one I would use, because this is a Finger  Movement,
>and with Finger Movements we write the result of our  action, or the
>Position of Contact with the fingers...A little like  the sign for PRINT,
>or BIRD, the sign for DO is like that movement:
>

><< Picture1.png >>

>It is possible that Darline used a different handshape...and that is
>fine...but the actual finger movement is a CLOSE-CLOSE related to the
>ending position...or write both the beginning and the end positions  and
>then you have no need to even use the Finger Movement Symbols...
>
>Great to see you writing so much!
>
>Val ;-)

Thank you for this answer, Val!

The sign DO-DO is actually, as far as I know, never signed with the same
handshape as BIRD or 20; the thumb and the middle finger always touch.  I
may rewrite it with the index and middle fingers making a loop with the
thumb, because that is the end position... I don't want to write both the
beginning and end positions because that would end up being four symbols for
each hand - eight symbols in all... that's just too much for one little
sign.

Thanks again for the feedback! :-)
KJ