DO or DO-DO?

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 6 00:11:42 UTC 2007

>From: "Valerie Sutton" <signwriting at MAC.COM>
>To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
>Subject: Re: [sw-l] DO or DO-DO?
>Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 16:03:47 -0700
>

>On May 5, 2007, at 3:45 PM, kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
>>Here's my second attempt, following the rules (I think)... but, can  you
>>tell that it's the index finger closing twice and not the  middle finger?
>
>Hello Kelly Jo -
>I agree that the second attempt doesn't look like it either and that  is
>fine...we can find different solutions...so let's keep trying...
>

><< Picture2.png >>

>I believe the base hand is probably a D Hand or possible a Baby-D? I  have
>not looked at the video yet...but as you know there are several  ways to
>sign that...not everyone takes it from a D base, like  Philip's writing
>from SignPuddle takes it from a square fist base too  (see attached)...but
>I bet in this case it comes from a D  Hand?...that would be a circle
>base... (continued next message)...
>

><< Picture1.png >>

Hi Val,

The base hand should technically be a D Hand, but the way Darline actually
signs it on the video, the base hand has the ring and pinky fingers tucked
right in, and the thumb touching the middle finger - the handshape I chose
in my original writing.  I think Philip's square fist base is the clearest
for writing, but I actually don't know anyone who signs it that way... the
way Darline signed it is the way I usually see, and when someone is signing
carefully (as in when they're teaching a class or something), I generally
see the full D hand.

KJ