DO or DO-DO?

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 6 01:18:53 UTC 2007

>From: "Valerie Sutton" <signwriting at MAC.COM>
>To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
>Subject: Re: [sw-l] DO or DO-DO?
>Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 16:21:26 -0700
>
>This is one handshape that is useful for the ending position of a  sign
>like DO-DO...
>
>it gives a circle base, like the letter D, but it also gives the  angle of
>the finger at the end of the movement
>
>Just a thought...it would mean that all the other fingers are in a  circle,
>not a fist...
>

><< Picture5.png >>

Actually, I have to disagree there... the ending position is definitely a
closed index and thumb, but this shape and the constructed shape you
mentioned in your last message both show the index not touching the thumb at
all.  I would have trouble reading that.

Problem is, in natural signing all the fingers except the index are in a
relaxed fist, which as far as I know isn't represented in the IMWA.  No
matter how you look at it, it's not possible with this symbol set to
represent exactly what is happening... we have to look at what a native
signer thinks is happening, just like in writing a spoken language we have
to look at what the native speaker thinks a word sounds like and not
necessarily what is actually said.  (I can give examples, if anyone would
like...)

Judging by the entries in the SignPuddle dictionary, we're pretty evenly
split as to whether it looks more like a D-type hand or a fist-type hand...

Thoughts and comments?
KJ