SVG version of our IMWA symbols

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon May 14 04:02:44 UTC 2007

Actually, I prefer vertical writing than horizontal for SignWriting.
It is so much easier to read than horizontal writing. I have become
less a fan of horizontal SW since I have used vertical SW. I almost
never use horizontal SW anymore. I think it is more logical to write
vertically because we are writing the body in space as it moves. The
body position moved back and forth across the lanes makes a great
deal of sense. I also believe that as reading proficiency increases,
size will be less of an issue because I will not be reading the
individual symbols but the whole sign. Just like I am right now as I
type in English, I am not really looking at the individual letters. I
am seeing whole words and then when the visual shape of the word is
out of the ordinary, I realize I have misspelled it. I think the same
will become true of SignWriting as people become more fluent. WIth
greater fluency, we can reduce the symbols much smaller but still be
readable.

I also think that printing landscape may be the best orientation for
printing SW in vertical lanes. That may also work well to keep things
tidy too.

As I mentioned before, horizontal scripts mixed into our writing can
be made to fit our vertical orientation. I don't see why we should
feel forced to adopt a horizontal orientation just because it is
convenient or better accepted for spoken languages. ;-)

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Stuart