SWML

Sun May 20 14:30:49 UTC 2007

Hi Gerard,

There are several variations of SWML.
*1. SWML-UCPel*: the original SWML Formats
*2. SWML-D*: for WoordenBoek Online Dictionaries
*3. SWML-S*: for SignPuddle Online Dictionaries
*4. SWDB*: for UCPel Linguistic SignWriting Database

I believe Variations 1,2, and 4 use the old symbol sets.  (either sss-95
or sss-99).

I  created SWML-S for the latest symbol set, SSS-2004 (or the IMWA).
The -S stands for simple.  I initially looked at the SWML-UCPel, but
decided it was not an appropriate fit because it appeared too
complicated and it didn't use the latest symbol set.

SWML-S was created from scratch and only has basic information: signs in
lanes.  The latest version is 1.2 I believe.  It should probably be
cleaned up, but it's been working fine for SignPuddle and SignText so
I've left it alone.  I'm working on a new SignText that will continue to
use SWML-S.

I'm also working on a SignText markup language that will include
SignWriting, Unicode, and graphics.  It will be used for screen display
and PDF generation.

FYI,
-Steve