Basic calendar and clock in SignWriting

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 22 17:42:24 UTC 2007

Right, that is how digit are done is English, but numbers are completely different in ASL. The best way to explain it is an ASL "digit" goes from 0 to 99, not 0 to 9 as in English. So I am using the computer clock to get the time and getting the two English digits for one ASL digit. Also, I only see deaf/Deafies sign the year as two thousand seven or twenty zero seven, respectively. (Deafies are considered more ASL because they follow the ASL digit rule when rendering numbers). I never see anyone but hearies who will render numbers as single digits from 0-9. I guess it's a ASL/Deaf brain thing. LOL.
Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bill Reese" <wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 13:29:13
To:sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Basic calendar and clock in SignWriting

Adam,
I don't know of two signs "20" and "07." I'd be tempted to treat it like
a decimal sequence, "2," "0," "0," and "7."   I assume that you're tying
into the computer's clock and calendar to keep track of the day, date
and time.  If so, presenting the decimal places of the years with the
first 10 digits (0 - 9) would seem to allow the greatest flexibility in
displaying whatever time the user wanted - such as 1983, 2025, 2350, etc.

Bill