Sleeping Beauty Page 26

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 29 03:55:21 UTC 2007

You're right about the signs in columns 2 & 4... I forgot the difference between wrist flex signs and arm rotations.  I remember now...As for the sign in the 6th column, I really wish the fingers on that handshape were reversed (like they are on the filled-in handshape).  There are a few signs, including this one, that would be much easier to write if the thumb was pointing left instead of right.  I realize there is a handshape with the thumb in the correct position,
but then the fill would suggest the back of the hand is facing left,
which is also wrong!In this case, I wanted the contact symbol right by the thumb and right on the area of the chest being contacted, and this was the only way I could figure to do that.  I would much rather have had the handshape to the right of the contact symbol, because it's the right hand doing the contacting, but I just couldn't figure out how to do that with the current symbolset.  I didn't think of putting the fist handshape to the left of the contact symbol... I guess I could, since the thumb is the point of contact and it's in the middle of the handshape... but it doesn't feel right.  I think it would be confusing to read.  I'll see what I can do when I get back to editing...KJDate: Sun, 27 May 2007 20:19:14 -0700From: adam at frostvillage.comTo: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.eduSubject: Re: [sw-l] Sleeping Beauty Page 26Column 2, last sign and column 4, second sign seem to have a wrist flex rather than an arm rotation.And there isn't anything wrong with the spelling of the second sign in column 6, but I think that the contact stars being on different sides of the two handshapes slows the reading. Maybe place both on the right, or even on the left, but not one right, one left.