Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Tue May 29 21:22:35 UTC 2007

Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> May 29, 2007
>
> On May 28, 2007, at 10:49 PM, GerardM wrote:
>> It seems obvious to me that with SignWriting seeking more people to
>> write their sign language, it is relevant to allow people use the
>> SignWriting characters and fonts, the software  and material as
>> freely as possible. In this way you grow an ecosystem that will be of
>> benefit to the whole community. It seems to me that SignWriting is
>> the best defence that sign languages have. It gains strength in the
>> number of people able to write and promote their sign language.
>
> Sandy, Gerard, Steve, Everyone -
> I think it is wonderful that Sandy wants to do his software! NO ONE is
> restricting Sandy or anyone to do their software. Of course it is
> obvious that everyone must be "allowed" to use SignWriting...in fact I
> am begging everyone to use SignWriting.
>
> PLEASE use SignWriting! There are no restrictions or limitations. I
> never created any. If someone thinks there are limitations, they are
> creating them in their own mind....
>
> The very purpose of SignWriting is to be used by millions of people
> free and open, just as the Roman Alphabet is...
>
> This idea of licenses is creating as many problems as it is
> solving...making people feel like some how they will be excluded from
> the SignWriting family...NEVER. All are welcome.
>
> I am worried that someone will feel like a license keeps them from
> using SignWriting, even when it states that it is open and free. That
> is why I absolutely must write a personal and encouraging and open
> letter to the general public, and place it on our web sites, in which
> I explain in plain English that SignWriting is free for you and
> everyone to use.
>
> So Sandy, I just want to be sure that you know you are welcome to
> develop your software!
>
> OK. Next week I will try to write that open letter to everyone -
>
> And I hope everyone will relax about this issue. I am beginning to
> think that maybe it should be in the Public Domain...how else can we
> encourage people to use SignWriting? You all assume that I have
> copyrighted everything...but actually I haven't...but it seems like no
> one believes me!
Not ALL of us.  Though at one time I did wonder.  You have made it clear
you want us to use SignWriting and we WILL!!! :-)     Just a
suggestion.  Make a link to the first page of the website to

YES! Questions and Answers about Trademarks
http://www.signwriting.org/about/questions/quest0004.html

and also on the pages where the IMWA is downloaded.  This should help
anybody who is thinking about making a derived work.  For most of us it
should be enough.

Just to let you know, my program is coming along slowly but surely.

> And I don't want to waste the years I have left to live on the earth,
> worrying about limitations, when SignWriting is limitless...
Yes, keep up your constructive work!!!  It is very appreciate world
round!!!!

Jonathan