Birthday Party Page 4

Valerie Sutton dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Fri Nov 2 19:16:30 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
November 2, 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 12:06 PM, K.J. Boal wrote:
> SignSpelling rules say that if you only write one hand position, it
> should be the end position . . . I think I've broken that rule with
> my new spelling.  What can I say?  The sign is not an exact mime of
> the movement.

Hello Kelly Jo, Stefan, Adam and everyone -

Actually, Kelly Jo, it is important that we clear this up. The
SignSpelling Rules for Finger Movement Symbols do say that the second
position is always written (like the sign for Milk writes the closing
position with the fingers squeezing and so forth)

And it is also true that if a sign finishes in contact, then the
second Position of Contact is always written, but if there is a
Position of Contact in the beginning of the sign, and not at the end,
then the first position is always written, because the Position of
Contact is always written.

In the sign for ICE CREAM, the Position of Contact is the beginning
position, because we are brushing the chin...so this sign needs to be
written parallel to the wall plane...

and I am of course not an expert in ASL at all...so please know that
I not saying I know this sign very well, but I thought it just
brushed down twice remaining parallel to the wall plane at the end as
well...but maybe that is my misunderstanding of ASL...

no matter what, the beginning position has to be written in this case
because it is the Position of Contact...

I have realized for some time that I need to write all of these
Spelling Rules in an updated guidelines and have not gotten to it yet
so I am sorry about that!