Binary SignWriting and Unicode

Fri Nov 30 17:00:13 UTC 2007

Hi list,

There's been renewed interest in Unicode lately.  I think the main
reason to use Unicode is to reduce size.

I have a proposal for Binary SignWriting that will integrate with
Unicode.  The specifics may change, but the basic idea offers a lot of
promise.  http://signpuddle.net/index.php?id=Binary%20SignWriting

This will be an open standard that will work with SignText and replace
the other markups and formats.

As an example, consider the following section from "The Cat in the Hat"
by Cherie Wren.
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=5&sid=130

This has 164 letters (or symbols) from the SignWriting alphabet; has 28
words (or signs) and is displayed using 7 image columns.

Here's the size breakdown:
Image Columns: 23 k
SWML: 10k
Binary SW: 0.64k

This is a tremendous saving.  Binary SW has a nice hex representation
and it can be used in files, online, and databases.  Binary SW
integrates well with either font files or the current image files.  It's
compatible with Unicode and the current SignText.  It can use style
sheets for presentation.

There will be several types of SignText plugins: client (FireFox
plugin), server (PHP and Ajax), and application (python, visual basic,
...).  All will use Binary SW with the new ISWA.  I'll be releasing the
plugins as open source under the GPL on SourceForge.net.  If you want to
participate in the coding, send me an email discussing your interest.
2008 is going to be a fun year.

The specifications will be appearing on my site
http://www.signpuddle.net as open standards and proposals.  I'd welcome
any comments, feedback or alternative ideas.

Regards,
-Steve

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help