Binary SignWriting and Unicode

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Nov 30 17:52:29 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
November 30, 2007

Wow...this is amazing, Steve. Thank you for your hard work, and for
this message explaining it!

2008 will be an exciting year...

I just have two Ethiopian handshapes to add, and then I will have the
handshapes for the ISWA ready...then I need to work on the arrows and
circles...people want choices of larger arrows and circles ;-)

So the ISWA work is going well, so we can release it in 2008...

Regarding terminology...I think we need to follow the Unicode
terminology...as you can see on this web page, the term "character"
is what Everson uses instead of the term "letter", and I am guessing,
but I believe their term "symbol" stands for symbols for punctuation
and other symbols needed to write with, but the symbols are not an
alphabetic character....

Universal Character Set (UCS)
International Standard ISO/IEC 10646-1 and computer industry
implementation Unicode
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/unicode/unicod00.html

And trying to follow that terminology will become complex for
SignWriting, because in other writing systems a character does not
flop and rotate...so I thought we could call our BaseSymbols (around
500 basic symbols) "characters" or "letters" and the flops and
rotations could be called "symbols"....

Just a thought...but it is not a big deal to me...just as long as we
are writing signed languages, the terminology in the hearing world is
not very important

I am going back to working on the handshapes!

Have a great day everyone -

Val ;-)