terms Phonetic and Phonemic

Valerie Sutton dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Fri Nov 30 18:34:27 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
November 30, 2007

HI Everyone!

Regarding the general term "phonetic" and "phonemic"...

I would like to ask all of you on the SignWriting List....

Do you think of SignWriting as "phonetic" or "phonemic" ?

I personally like to think of SignWriting as an alphabet that can be
written either phonetically or phonemically, depending on the writer
and the choices they make while writing...

Technically we can write every nuance of a movement if we wish, and
that would be more "phonetic"... more like "Movement Writing"

or as time goes by...

certain SignSpellings start to become standardized and slowly
"phonemic" SignWriting happens too...

No matter what, SignWriting is "alphabetic", but sometimes linguists
and scholars want to define the kind of alphabet it is...

Some say it is a "featural alphabet" and that it may be...but it is
still an alphabet nonetheless...

And I feel it can be either phonetic or phonemic depending on the
writer?

Am I wrong to think this?

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help