SignText license opinions

Mon Nov 5 21:22:33 UTC 2007

Hi list,

Several people have recently approached me about releasing the SignText
source code under an open license so that they can modify it and include
it in other applications.  I think it's an interesting idea.

SignText has proven to be effective for writing and editing.  I'm
working on a new SignText that will be more powerful, but the basic
ideas are the same.

I think it would be a great idea if other applications copied the
SignText ideas.  What better place to start than the original SignText.
It could be integrated into Wikipedia, Omniwiki or any other online tool.

If someone knew how to use SignText, they could use SignWriting online
with all of these tools without learning a new writing technique.

I'm not sure what license would be best for the SignText code.  I'm
thinking either GPL v2 or BSD.  Any opinions?

This would need to be a coordinated release with the ISWA (IMWA
successor) under the Open Font License.  We also would need an open
standard for SignText markup language.  The current SWML-S is usable but
cluttered and incomplete.  We'd need a STML v1 for straight
SignWriting.  And a STML v2 for color, size and the inclusion of
Unicode, graphics and linking.

The biggest negative would be the time required to get this ready which
would take time away from my current SignPuddle development.

However, the biggest positive would be we might see SignWriting start to
pop up all over the web.

Thoughts, opinions?

Regards,
-Steve