SignText license opinions

Wed Nov 7 22:24:53 UTC 2007

Hi Stuart,

The compact syntax predates the XML.  This is the build string that was
first used in SignMaker.  This same build string was used in SignText
before SignText could handle lanes.  When I added lanes to SignText, it
was easiest to throw it on the end of the build string.  I could safely
assume that if a SignText document didn't have lane information then it
wasn't written with lanes and I could use the center lane.  Putting the
lane on the end saved me the time of having to write conversion scripts
for all of the existing single lane SignText documents.

It would be possible to switch the compact syntax around, but then I'd
have to change a lot of code and write conversion utilities.  Unless
there's a good reason (other than aesthetics), I don't see the value.

Regards,
-Steve

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help