TRANSLATE features in SignPuddle 1.5

Valerie Sutton dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Mon Nov 12 20:20:45 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
November 12, 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Kasterlinden Bilinguaal wrote:
> Also what I notice is that it used to go pretty fast, translating a
> sentence. Now we first have to select each sign before we get the
> sentence. But maybe that's because it's new. I'll find out the
> advantages when I can really start working with it ;)
>  Thank you very much,
> kind regards from rainy Belgium (and cold)
> Kathleen (Kasterlinden)

Hello Kathleen, Sara and everyone -

Sorry it is raining and cold in Belgium....but be happy you have lots
of rain...that is something Southern California could use more
of...although we did have a tiny bit of rain last night, and the
fires seem to be almost gone out in the desert areas...

And thanks for your question about the new Translate feature in
SignPuddle 1.5, which I think is an amazing improvement...

So let me explain. Let us imagine you are translating ASL signs in
the ASL dictionary...

I typed " Me want go now." in English and push the Translate Button.
(see attached)

Look at all the entries in the dictionary for ME, WANT and GO! This
way I can choose the version I need fast, without having to leave the
Translate area to look in the dictionary to see what choices I
have...I just press the Radio Button of the version of the sign I
want, and then press the Update Button.

Once updated, I can then place the translation into SignMail, or I
can copy it into SignPuddle to add it to the dictionary or literature
puddles online...and make changes to it as well in SignText, adding
extra facial expressions and punctuation...

A lot of people don't realize the different ways a sign can be
written too, so by seeing the choices they learn the different ways
one sign can be written...

Ask more questions if you wish.... Val ;-)