Blog about 69-page ASL book....

Valerie Sutton dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Fri Nov 16 21:39:32 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
November 16, 2007

Hello Gerard -
Thank you for this blog. There have been other larger documents
written in other Sign Languages, in SignWriting, in the past...For
example, in Spain, there is a novel written in Madrid Sign Language
and it is 140 pages, and there have been several large documents from
Nicaragua in Nicaraguan Sign Language, but in ASL we have tended to
write shorter ones, like 10 pages, instead of 69 pages. We hope to
complete the entire Gospel According to John in 2008, which will be
around 400 pages is my guess (21 chapters), and Nancy plans to
continue to translate all four Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John....

Cat in the Hat and Sleeping Beauty will be fairly large too,
depending on the accompanying illustrations. And yes, this is quite
an accomplishment, because the older documents from Spain and
Nicaragua were published with our old (classic) SignWriter DOS
program that only writes from left to right on the page (there was no
other software at the time of those publications). This is the first
time that we are writing large documents with vertical columns, which
encompasses important aspects of Sign Language grammar called
Lanes...so we are glad to have the two programs we have: SignPuddle
and SignBank, to produce these new vertical-column documents with
Lanes...SignPuddle is the program we use to write in vertical lanes,
and SignBank DocumentMaker is a program that helps us put those
columns into book format....

Just to give you some insight...and yes...this all leads to a future
Wikipedia in ASL and other signed languages - that is for sure!

Val ;-)

PS. You are welcome to place this message on your blog if you wish!