Signs from dictionary

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Nov 22 16:14:09 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
November 22, 2007

Rodrigo -
Go right ahead and add all the signs from any dictionary or any book!
That will be a blessing.

No human being "owns a language" or "owns a sign". Copyrights refer
to photocopying the "entire book"...for example, you are not allowed
to photocopy the entire book and sell it, because the book itself is
copyrighted, but the actual signs in the dictionary are free and open
for people to sign with everyday, including writing the signs in
SignWriting. They can be written thousands of times without hurting
any book's copyrights...Charles is correct that you just quote your
"source" and start writing!

Afterall, we write with English words, and English words are in
dictionaries...we do not have to ask permission to write English
words from Samuel Johnson who wrote the first English dictionary that
was popular hundreds of years ago. That would mean no communication
in writing at all!

Charles is correct. Just quote your source and start writing...Do you
know how to write the source in SignPuddle?....Click on Write Words
button. Here is how I believe we could write the sources for
referring to other published books....see screen capture from the ASL
dictionary...

and now I really DO have to help my family with Thanksgiving
dinner! ;-)))

But thank you for writing some Brazilian signs in the Brazilian
SignPuddle - that will be wonderful!

And we can create a Portuguese User Interface in SignPuddle later, if
you would like - we will need your help with that...

Once again, talk to you on Monday...