SignWriting in Sign Language classes

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Oct 2 20:13:59 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
October 2, 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Gblpbl at aol.com wrote:
> I am enjoying this dialogue about animated sign writing. I have the
> most basic question: when you all write back and forth, I see that
> you are showing figures, examples of what you mean..because I see
> at the bottom the the message a black box with a red arrow in
> it....but I never see the figure. How do I access these examples?
> Polly Lawson in Peru

Hello Polly in Peru!
I am glad you are enjoying the messages...

Computer programs do act differently and a lot depends on how your
email software is configured...

For example, I just checked, and your email address is getting normal
email messages from our SignWriting List....This means that you
should be able to view the diagrams inside your email messages
visually, if your email software is setup to accept receiving
attached files in MIME format...so you may want to check your email
settings...

That little black box with the red arrow does not sound like
something I have seen before, but it may mean "a graphic" that you
cannot see...

Meanwhile, there are two other ways to see the diagrams...you can
access the Archives to read the messages and click on a link to view
the graphics in the Archives:

SignWriting List Archives
http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/pipermail/sw-l/

or you can change your email to Digest Mode, and I believe you can
read the diagrams in the Digest Mode...

But if I were you, I would try to get my email configured to read
graphics...what is the email program you are using?

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help