Wrist circle

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Fri Oct 5 02:29:04 UTC 2007

Hi Val and everyone,

      The Deaf teacher explained to me that all Deaf pupils are confused regarding the wrist circle signs

      Deaf pupils pointed out to the Deaf teacher that they know in general that a down-up movement is parallel with the front wall.  It is written with double-stemmed arrows.  And a forward-back movement is parallel to the floor.  It is written with single-stemmed arrows.

      It is interesting to me that all Deaf pupils failed to read a wrist circle which is parallel with the front wall.  But, they did not fail to read a wrist circle which is parallel to the floor.  The Deaf teacher was not successful to explain the difference between a wrist circle (parallel wall plane) and a wrist circle (parallel floor plane).  However, one of the Deaf pupils drew on the blackboard that a wrist circle with parallel wall plane is written with one double-stemmed arrow.  All Deaf pupils do understand now.  They told the Deaf teacher that they want to change the wrist circle with parallel wall plane which is written with the double-stemmed arrow.  They refused to use a single-stemmed arrow for the wrist circle with parallel front wall.  But, they accepted that the wrist circle (parallel floor plane) is written with a single-stemmed arrow.

      I agree totally with Deaf kids because it is very important to be "appropriate" a double-stemmed arrow in order to learn and apply the same general rules.

      Should a wrist circle with parallel front wall change from the single-stemmed arrow to the double-stemmed arrow?  Keep in mind that adults and kids do not have the same learning process.  I believe that Deaf kids are right to apply the general rules for the down-up movement (parallel front wall) for the double-stemmed arrows, and the wrist circle with parallel front wall for a double-stemmed arrow double-stemmed arrows. Unfortunately, SignPuddle 1.5 is designed only with wrist circles using single-stemmed arrows.

      Best regards,

      André