SignWriting at Addis Ababa University Ethiopia

Thu Oct 11 18:43:33 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
October 11, 2007

Hello Eyasu, Dr. Hirut W/Mariam, and members of the SignWriting List!

Thank you very much, Eyasu, for informing us that you received the
SignWriting materials. In the Lessons in SignWriting CD-Rom, you will
find several textbooks on SignWriting. You have our full permission
to translate all documents on the CD, into the beautiful languages of
Ethiopia.

I am also still working on adding the Ethiopian Handshapes into
SignPuddle (the ISWA). When those new handshapes are there, you will
be able to write Ethiopian Sign Language literature, stories, etc and
of course dictionaries, in the movements of Ethiopian signed
languages in SignWriting, using SignPuddle and SignBank software.

I have been working on completing the PDF documents for The Gospel
According to John, Chapters 1-7, in American Sign Language. I hope to
have much of it posted on the web by next week for download. Once
that is done, then I will start working on the symbols once again, to
complete them, and I will inform you when the Ethiopian handshapes
will be ready for use...

Until then, you can still write Ethiopian signs in your Ethiopian
SignPuddle Online, but you might have to "construct" some symbols
that are missing at the moment:

Ethiopian SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=18

Our non-profit educational organization, here in California, is not a
university. And we do not teach Sign Language itself...only
SignWriting. So we do not have "courses in American Sign Language"
that we can just hand you....BUT...I do want to start encouraging
other ASL teachers to start using SignWriting in their classrooms,
and I do know of some who are already doing that, so I will write to
them to ask them if they have ideas for how to introduce SignWriting
at the same time that one teaches ASL...

If anyone here on the List, can tell us the exact schedule as to how
you introduce SignWriting in your ASL classrooms, please post it here
on the List, so that in Ethiopia, they can apply the same techniques
in their classrooms teaching Ethiopian signed languages...

Many thanks!

Val ;-)

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help