SignBank 8.5 Dictionaries and Documents

Sat Sep 1 18:42:30 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
September 1, 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 7:30 PM, K.J. Boal wrote:
> I got both those postings, plus this one that I'm responding to.
> The List software seems to be working fine for me . . .  I'm
> sending this email both to the List and to you personally, Val, so
> you'll be sure to get it!
> KJ

Hello SignWriting List, and Kelly Jo!

Thank you, Kelly Jo, for telling me. I am glad the List is working
well for you too...

Happy September!

I have really enjoyed August here. We had guests...my cousins from
Maine...and wonderful friends dropping by...

Yesterday I worked with Todd Duell, on SignBank, and we have decided
that in the next few months we will separate SignBank into two
separate programs, which will be easier for people to use and
understand.

1. SignBank Dictionary Database
for printing multi-lingual SignWriting dictionaries
(provides multiple print formats for publishing dictionaries in all
sizes)

2. SignBank Document Maker
for printing multi-lingual SignWriting documents
(provides multiple print formats for publishing literature in all sizes)

BOTH programs will be standalone, and will not require the purchase
of any other software. They will both be in FileMaker 8.5 and 9.0,
but there will also be a Runtime that will be free. And although they
work similarly, they will actually be completely independent of each
other.

BOTH will be coordinated with SignPuddle so that data can be imported
or copied from SignPuddle 1.5.

I only wish the two programs were separate right now! They are still
one program, and it will take Todd a couple of full days work
programming to make the two standalone programs...and I need to raise
the funds for that project, but it will happen...I am determined!

MEANWHILE....I am asking for your help. I need to test Document Maker
the way it is right now, with some users, and I am asking if we can
test it with all of you on the SignWriting List? Are there a few of
you, who would like to learn to take a document already created in
SignText, and learn how to print it as a document in Document Maker?
It means you will have to download a very large file on the web
(SignBank 8.5), to use it on your hard drive, and then I can teach
you step by step how to print a document in different formats with
the current Document Maker...and then your feedback will help me tell
Todd new features that we need for the future standalone version...

Anyone interested in testing Document Maker with me on the List?

I will wait for replies and prepare lessons while I am waiting!

Many thanks in advance -

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help