question on sign notation /small movments

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod acpg at VTXNET.CH
Tue Sep 4 21:25:06 UTC 2007

Le 4 sept. 07 à 23:13, Valerie Sutton a écrit :

> SignWriting List
> September 4, 2007
>
> On Sep 4, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
>> How should I write this sign...... so that someone who reads it
>> knows it's only a small movement ?
>> I've got the same problem with other signs which use small
>> circular movement
>
> Hello Anny!
> Thanks for this question and don't forget to also ask the question
> about the PocketPuddle to the List too when you have a chance. That
> way I don't need to answer it twice to others ;-))
I will!! thanks

> Regarding circle sizes, I personally use these dotted-lined circles
> (see attached). Those are the original circle symbols that have
> been used since 1974. Circles from the elbow or finger joints are
> dotted-lined circles and circles from the shoulder or wrist joints
> are solid lined circles...
>
> The ones you chose are fine and can be read easily, but they are
> not graphically beautiful yet in the ISWA...I need to work on
> getting multiple bitmapped images in multiple sizes into the ISWA
> and I have not done that for years...people keep asking me for
> different size circles and I am never getting to it...
I know how busy you are!!! I was just wondering if there's a symbol
that could be added near the circle to mean "small"

> so until I do, you can choose the dotted-lined circles that look a
> little bit smaller than the ones you chose, plus you could write it
> by hand at smaller sizes or construct one from multiple tiny little
> lines...there are tiny little curved lines under the limbs area if
> you really feel that the size is truly important for your document...
Ok fine!!! the other solution for the people that don't know the size
is to add a comment....!

> But I do have a question about the palm facing...do you really want
> the overhead view of the side of the hand? That would be the same
> palm facing as the white palm front view...so I wonder why you
> wrote the palm facing differently that the white palms that are
> easier to write?
one of the signs comes from the belgian Puddle.... tha other one was
written by Anita my friend (before seing the other model...) i know
both palm facing mean the same in this specific situation.....
> Or do you want the side view of the palms facing to the floor?
No
> If yes, then those would not have a break at the knuckle
> joints...because it is parallel to your chest side
> view...smile...Val ;-)

thansk for this quick answer!!!

take care

Anny