Pocket Puddle.... information

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod acpg at VTXNET.CH
Thu Sep 6 09:36:31 UTC 2007

Val

my answer below

Le 5 sept. 07 à 00:37, Valerie Sutton a écrit :

> SignWriting List
> September 4, 2007
>
> Hello Anny!
> Thank you for these questions about the PocketPuddle. The
> PocketPuddle is described on the web:
>
> SignPuddle Information
> http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/help/index.html#Information

> Yes. It is really a nice development. The PocketPuddle is for
> Windows. It is generally "plug and play", meaning that you can plug
> it into your USB port on your Windows computer and run SignPuddle
> without an internet connection, directly on the PocketPuddle.
>
> It is not really a Mac or Linux product, BUT for those who want to
> use it on their Mac or Linux computers, it comes with instructions
> for a "special install" so you can run the software on your hard
> drive instead of on the PocketPuddle itself. The "special install
> instructions" are clear, but it is not that easy a process...so if
> you are running a Mac, then I could help you do it step by step...
Ÿes I'm running a Mac (Mac Os X version 10.4.10)... so I'll need your
instruction tu get the pocket Puddle run!

> For the Windows world, it is fun to be able to run a full
> SignPuddle on a tiny little USB flash drive! And then you can
> unplug it and carry it in your pocket to another Windows computer
> and carry your data around that way...without an internet
> connection...
>
> <shop02.jpg>

> Yes. That is correct. There are several ways to work offline
> now...but all of them cost money. The PocketPuddle is $100. The
> private Workstation and the SignPuddle Servers are more money, so
> the PocketPuddle is the best deal that is for sure...
>
> All are VERY reasonable in cost considering the remarkable software
> it is. Thank you, Steve, for the gift of SignPuddle!
>
> Meanwhile working online is still free and there for everyone 24
> hours a day, 7 days a week ;-)

> No. There is not an offline version to download for free now. The
> PocketPuddle replaced it.
Ok fine... then I 'll need a pocket!

> The PocketPuddle is your answer. Are you on a Mac or Windows? If it
> is a Mac, we can send you the PocketPuddle for Windows, plus the
> instructions on how to install it on your Mac and then Steve and I
> can help you with the Mac installation...
yes please!!

> Your wish is our command - ha! ;-))
when it's possible for you.... absolutely need to have it running
before middle of november because I organise a SignWriting week-end
in a small chalet in the swiss mountains... with just NO internet
connexion.... so I'll need the PUddle to work with the group!

> It can take up to two weeks to send a package from California to
> Europe, and I cannot send them out to you until Steve sends me some
> more, in the middle of this month...so I would think you could have
> it by October 1st if need be...but first we need to talk about your
> computer etc...
that's fine... no rush!

> One thing we all should know...for people who want to use the
> PocketPuddles in a school setting, if the computer is owned by the
> school...not all schools let people plug things in and sometimes
> the school network will lock the W drive and so forth...this
> happened in Norway and I still need to talk this over with Steve -
> interesting problems have developed with schools and networks...
>
> But if you are using it with your private computer then there
> should be no problem...;-)
yes it will be for private use.....!

> There is a conflict with Skype, but you can work around that...
I'm also using Skype... but I guess no use to get it riunning at the
same time ?!?!?

> Hope this has helped...
Ÿes thank you!

looking forward to getting this new tool!

take care

Anny