Kids computer

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Wed Sep 12 15:03:41 UTC 2007

Hi Stefan and eveyone,

    Yes, I accepted your short answer.

    Stefan, thank you

    Hand waving

    André
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stefan Wöhrmann
  To: 'SignWriting List'
  Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:43 PM
  Subject: AW: [sw-l] Kids computer

  Hi  André,

  I am pretty much under pressure - so please accept a short answer  ;-)

  Yes you are right. I am using SignWriting or "GebaerdenSchrift" as we call the German branch with all these additional mouthsymbols for several years now pretty successfully with children.

  Even at kindergarden some colleagues start now to include first SW- symbols but very much my speechwriting symbols to support hearing impaired little children .

  Well if it comes down to reading my students became real experts and they take a great advantage out of this possibility to offer bilingual materials.

  Unfortunately they did not develop good spelling/writing skills.  The reason for that is to be found in the circumstances. We do not have too much time to spend on producing SW - documents. So it is me who is the scribe and they use these documents in order to improve their spoken language skills.

  My own sons developed pretty impressive writing skills with the good old SW DOS program. In fact I learned so much from their way to memorize the keys for the hidden symbols. Did you ever get the chance to look at their artwork. The "Maennekens" and the animated gifs they produced are really fun.

  Right now I will restart a new program with three deaf students about 13 years old. We will use the SW44 DOS Program and hopefully I will allow them to at least develop some idea on how to create a given sign with the many symbols hidden behind the keys. smile.

  All the best

  Stefan ;-)