An avator doing bfi

Sat Sep 15 20:05:00 UTC 2007

On Sep 15, 2007, at 10:36 AM, GerardM wrote:
> Hoi,
> I read this article on the BBC website about a translation service
> created by IBM that uses an avatar to translate into British Sign
> language (bfi). Such technology could in principle also produce
> SignWriting
> Thanks,
>      Gerard

-------------

Hello Gerard and Everyone -
Thank you this information. The SiSi (Say It Sign It) program
mentioned above sounds interesting...I am happy to know about it!

Regarding SignWriting....it has been used for some avatar programs.

One was presented in Lisbon in 2004:

Sign Language Processing Workshop, Lisbon, May 30, 2004
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/lisbon/index.html

The paper (from Greece) is entitled: "Synthesis of Virtual Reality
Animations from SWML using MPEG-4 Body Animation Parameters"
by Maria Papadogiorgaki, Nikos Grammalidis, Nikos Sarris and Michael
G. Strintzis

Read about it on the Web:
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/lisbon/lisbon04.html

or download the 8-page PDF document:
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs3/sw0205-Sign-Processing-
Greece.pdf

Unfortunately, this project stopped, I believe, because of lack of
funding, so it was never completed...but it was an exciting project
to see unfold and gives us hope for future projects...

Smile -

Have a wonderful weekend!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting