Question about/for the Deaf :-)

Rodrigo Ferreira Bagni rodbagni at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 17 14:42:05 UTC 2007

Hello,
I would like some help and I thought I could ask some questions here.  :-)

Currently I am trying to define a topic of studying to my master of science
research on computer science, that is computers :-)
I have two main corcerns with which I would like to work. The first one is
the problems the Deaf faces today in the society and the second one is
digital divide.

Thus I'm trying to combine them. Among the Deaf there are many different
personalities, needs, goals, abilities etc; so I don't want to exclude
anybody or consider the broader set as possible.
Digital divide for me is the constraint imposed to someone preventing them
from having access to information technology, mainly the internet. Because
of it those people cannot, as we can, develop themselves learning with the
content available on the internet and most important, they cannot act to
change the situation in which they live, using what the internet offers. For
exemple, what would have happend with SignWrinting if we didn't have the
internet?

So, based on this I wanted to know, if someone want to help, please  :-)

What problems do you think there are that prevent the Deaf from effectively
using the internet, if there is any?

Do you think SignWriting is the solution? If it is, is it the only one?

What about those ones that do not know any sign language and poorly learnt a
spoken language (English, French, German, Portuguese, etc). Can the internet
help them or they should learn a language first to use the internet?

If the internet had something more or were somehow different, I am sure the
Deaf could use it much better. What would be something more or different?

Do you think there is anything else that could be done besides working with
the internet? Regarding computers, please.

Thank you very much.  :-)
Best
--
Rodrigo Ferreira Bagni