Question about/for the Deaf :-)

Valerie Sutton dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Thu Sep 20 17:49:28 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
September 20, 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Rodrigo Ferreira Bagni wrote:
> That is the point. I am trying to define a topic of study and then,
> maybe from that, will be developed some software, maybe not. The
> product created can be of various kinds, not necessarily a
> software.  My goals are to help the Deaf not to face the problems I
> know many of them face. That is my goal. Software, internet, etc
> are part of my profession and I just want to apply my knowledge to
> achieve those goals. I know there are many ways to help but I also
> want this one too.  :-)  I am taking so long because I do not want
> to do something that someone has already done or is doing now,
> unless that helps more than choosing a different topic to do by
> myself.

I can tell you, from a SignWriting software perspective, what we
could use, if you wanted to tackle such large projects:

Work on...

1. completing SignWriter Tiger so it is a standalone program...it is
so close and it would be a shame not to finish SignWriter Tiger, and
the sources are there for you on SourceForge

SignWriter Tiger
http://www.signwriter.org

or

2. Updating SW Edit program from Brazil, to work in coordination with
SignBank (a program that I own and manage)...

Of course this requires permission from Dr. Antonio Carlos da Rocha
Costa and the programmer that designed SW Edit, but if you get this
permission, I will be happy to work with you on my end to give you
the needed data information to coordinate with SignBank...

SignBank
http://www.SignBank.org

There are also some features in SW Edit I do not understand and I
feel they need to be improved...for this reason I never used SW Edit
personally, but I would love to develop it further, with permission,
to use it more...

Either of these projects would help Deaf people who use SignWriting
around the world, and the software is standalone software that does
not require the internet...so the internet issues will not be a
problem for those Deaf without the internet...

Would you consider either of these projects?

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help