ANNOUNCING New Web posting of research study...

Valerie Sutton dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Sep 25 01:50:10 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
September 25, 2007

Announcing a new posting September 25, 2007!

A newly designed web page:

SignWriting in Arabic Nations
http://www.SignWriting.org/arabia

Includes links for downloading new documents, such as:

Research Study, Jordan 2007
Jordan University, Al-Amal School for the Deaf

Research Study, Saudi Arabia 2002
Alqasseem-Boraydah Deaf Children Institute

Two statistical research studies in Deaf Education...in Saudi Arabia,
2002 and in Jordan, 2007 point to better scholastic achievement for
Deaf students who learned SignWriting, in comparison to other control
groups that did not learn SignWriting...

Both studies are posted in Arabic, with their respective English
translations. The Jordan 2007 study is the doctoral thesis of Dr.
Mohammed Mahmod AbuShaira, at Jordan University, and 30 pages of that
dissertation are translated into English...

We ran out of funds to pay for the full 170-page dissertation to be
translated from Arabic to English, but the 30 pages that are
translated provide the statistical results of the study, which shows
that Deaf students in Jordan did better in school, if they were
provided SignWriting for reading and writing their signed languages...

I am still reading the studies and trying to absorb all of the
results...

I look forward to someday finding the funds to translate the entire
Arabic dissertation to English...

Many thanks to Dr. AbuShaira for this gift of research and data...

We need more statistical research studies like these...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org