question on sign notation /small movments

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Sep 4 21:13:31 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
September 4, 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> How should I write this sign...... so that someone who reads it
> knows it's only a small movement ?
> I've got the same problem with other signs which use small circular
> movement

Hello Anny!
Thanks for this question and don't forget to also ask the question
about the PocketPuddle to the List too when you have a chance. That
way I don't need to answer it twice to others ;-))

Regarding circle sizes, I personally use these dotted-lined circles
(see attached). Those are the original circle symbols that have been
used since 1974. Circles from the elbow or finger joints are dotted-
lined circles and circles from the shoulder or wrist joints are solid
lined circles...

The ones you chose are fine and can be read easily, but they are not
graphically beautiful yet in the ISWA...I need to work on getting
multiple bitmapped images in multiple sizes into the ISWA and I have
not done that for years...people keep asking me for different size
circles and I am never getting to it...

so until I do, you can choose the dotted-lined circles that look a
little bit smaller than the ones you chose, plus you could write it
by hand at smaller sizes or construct one from multiple tiny little
lines...there are tiny little curved lines under the limbs area if
you really feel that the size is truly important for your document...

But I do have a question about the palm facing...do you really want
the overhead view of the side of the hand? That would be the same
palm facing as the white palm front view...so I wonder why you wrote
the palm facing differently that the white palms that are easier to
write? Or do you want the side view of the palms facing to the floor?
If yes, then those would not have a break at the knuckle
joints...because it is parallel to your chest side
view...smile...Val ;-)